Revolutionary War

Revolutionary Veterans - in the Haynes family

Timothy Bedell (164), Col.

Timothy Bedell started his military career during the French and Indian War as a Lieutenant in the New Hampshire Provincial Regiment. He was stationed at various places in the northern wilderness, and was at the capture of Quebec (1759) and later at the capture of Havana, Cuba (1762).

On May 26, 1775, at the age of 50, Timothy Bedel of Haverhill, New Hampshire, was appointed to command a new regiment being raised in New Hampshire for service with the Continental Army in the invasion of Canada. William Stark, under whom he had served earlier, also wanted this command and when he was passed over, he rode to New York and offered his services to the British Army. The first assignment for the company was to transport "Indians from Cambridge to Canada by his Excellency George Washington's orders to Col. Timothy Bedel." [NARA M246, Revolutionary War Rolls, 1775-1783, Bedel's Regiment, Folder 49, pg. 48]

This company was quickly expanded to a regiment with eight companies and joined the Continental Army during the Invasion of Canada. Col. Bedell saw action at the Battle of Fort St. Jean. Being advised that the enemy force of British and Indians approaching greatly out-numbered his own force, he went to Quebec to summon reinforcements, fell ill and was at the hospital at Lachine, Quebec in May, 1776 when most of his Regiment was captured at the Battle of Cedars, surrendering without a fight. Not knowing about the surrender, the reinforcements were ambushed and also forced to surrender. Gen. Benedict Arnold placed blame for the defeat on Bedel. Both Col. Bedel and his second in command Maj. Isaac Butterfield were court-martialed. Bedel was found not guilty, while Butterfield was convicted of cowardice. Still, Bedel was removed from command and his regiment was disbanded on January 1, 1777.

"A Ration Roll of Col. Bedels Regt. Raised by Order of Congress for an Expedition against Canada in the year 1777 & 1778" documents the Col.'s reenlistment on 15 Nov. 1777. [NARA M246 Revolutionary War Rolls, 1775-1783, Bedel's Regiment, Folder 50, pg. 11] The regiment he raised in 1778 was to defend the frontier on and adjacent to the Connecticut River. Bedel's Regiment of Rangers joined the Northern Division of the Continental Army under General Richard Montgomery and marched to Canada. [NEHGR, 1993 v.147 , pg.82-85]

Timothy Bedel commanded a militia regiment in the Battle of Bennington under Gen. John Stark. On December 11, 1779 Gen. George Washington ordered him to Coos to help in an investigation of misconduct and fraud against the Continental Army Quartermaster at Coos, NH.

Timothy Bedel served in the New Hampshire colonial assembly and after the war worked unsuccessfully to have lands in northern New Hampshire and Vermont granted to American Indians who had sided with the United States during the war. Timothy Bedel rose to the rank of Major General in the NH militia before his death on February 24, 1787 at Haverhill, New Hampshire. [Wikipedia, NEHGR, NARA pension records]

Moody Bedell (82)

Moody Bedel of Haverhill, NH served as a private in Capt. Ezekiel Ladd's company, in his father Col. Timothy Bedel's regiment in 1778, at the tender age of 14. He served as a Commissary of Supplies in Haverhill, N.H., his hometown, after the Canadian expedition. His widow had difficulty in collecting a pension on this service, apparently because of his age at the time. [NARA M804 New Hampshire, Moody Bedel, Mary, W9340, 83 pages]

Moody Bedel later served as Brig. General in the War of 1812, and received a land grant for his service as Col. in the 11th Infantry.

Norman Clark (170)

Norman Clark's obituary reported the start of his military career. "At the age of 17 years, he engaged in actual military service in the old French war." [New-Hampshire Patriot and State Gazette, 1842-06-23; VII, 404, pg[3]]

On 19th April, 1775, he mustered as a Private to Lexington with a Company of Minute Men from Princeton, Mass. and he served in Whitney's Massachusetts Regiment from June to December, 1775. He volunteered to march to the support of New York and was elected Lieutenant of the recruits from Princeton in the Massachusets Militia in 1776. He was wounded at Harlem Plains, north of New York, on 16th September, 1776, shot in the thigh with a musket ball. After recovering, he returned to service and rose to the rank of Captain in the Massachusetts Militia in 1777 and 1778. (His full pension application includes his description of his service in detail, which is an interesting story.)

After the war was over, he returned home to farm, but soon became involved in more military action - in Shay's Rebellion. The young republic the Revolution created faced a difficult time. A severe economic depression forced people unable to pay their debts first into court, then into jail. These troubles were viewed as arising from the mercantile elite of Eastern Massachusetts, especially Boston, who demanded hard currency to pay foreign creditors. The farmers of Western Massachusetts, after years of frustration, reacted with an armed uprising that lasted for six months at the end of 1786 and start of 1787. Squads of farmers organized themselves and marched to close the hated debt courts, and eventually against the arsenal that provisioned troops sent by the state to suppress their activities. The rebellion was broken and participants fled or went into hiding when charged with treason.

In March the governor of New Hampshire issued a proclamation exhorting his citizens to assist Massachusetts by refusing to harbor and by helping capture the participants in the rebellion who had fled over the border. Near the top of the list of named offenders, "charged with the crime of treason" is Norman Clark of Princeton. [The New-Hampshire Mercury and the General Advertiser, 1787-03-07; III, CXVII, Pg.[1] Proclamation by John Sullivan, President of the state of New Hampshire]. In the aftermath of the rebellion, clemency vs. execution was strongly debated by a divided public, but nearly all Shaysites were eventually reprieved or pardoned, included Norman Clark. He appears in the 1790 census listing for Princeton, head of a large household. In 1791 his name is listed in a tax roll with the now honorific "Capt."

Joseph Haynes (160)

Joseph Haynes served during the French and Indian War, attached to the 2nd Company of Haverhill, Massachusetts under Major Richard Saltonstall. He served in this unit with two older brother, David and Ammi-Ruhamah. According to muster rolls the brothers had duty at Haverhill and Newbury, Massachusetts.

He appears to have lived in New Hampshire from at least time of his first marriage in 1769, but he had a business in Haverhill, Mass. at least until 1773. He served as a Lieut. in 1778 and 1779 in Capt. Timothy Barron's Co., part of Col. Bedel's Regiment. [NARA M246 Revolutionary War Rolls, 1775-1783, Bedel's Regiment, Folder 50, pg. 8-10]

Joseph Hutchins (166)

Joseph Hutchins of Haverhill, N.H. was a neighbor of Timothy Bedel, purchasing land from him in Haverhill in 1765. Their relationship continued when his daughter Ruth married Moody Bedel in 1783.

He is documented as a Corporal in Dec. 1776, but was Captain of his own company by August 1777, attached to Bedel's Regiment of New Hampshire. In 1780 he raised a company at the threat of "the Enemy approaching These Western Frontiers at Coos." A list of expenses for this action amounting to almost 200 pounds is preserved, and shows that they were "returned" to Mr. Joseph Hutchins in 1789.

After the war he was engaged in politics, serving at the New Hampshire Convention that adopted the Federal Constitution 1788-89; and was a member of the Convention called to revise the Constitution of New Hampshire in 1791.

© 2007 Footie Lund